Electronic Signature Guidance
The Comptroller’s office allows for the acceptance of electronic signatures on employee travel vouchers. For guidance before implementing electronic signatures, please use these references provided by the Department of Information Resources (DIR):
- DIR rules at 1 TAC 203 Management of Electronic Transactions and Signed Records
- Guidelines for evaluating the effectiveness of a given signature method and for matching the signature method to the applicable degree of risk involved PDF
Agencies should keep in mind the following requirements when implementing electronic signatures:
- Ensure that if any changes are made to the travel voucher, there is an adequate log that details the changes made, by whom, and when. The traveler should certify all changes made.
- If an agency decides that email is the most appropriate way to utilize electronic signatures, the agency must ensure that no confidential data is transmitted through an unencrypted email message.
- Receipt requirements have not changed. Agencies must still comply with the receipt requirements listed in the Textravel Documentation Requirements. Receipts may be stored electronically but must be retrievable upon request.
- The agency must maintain documentation of the electronic signature and related information.