SPA Process User’s Guide –
Chapter 6 – Deleting Property and Funds
Disposal Method 19 (Missing – Temporary Hold for Deletion)
This disposal method is used by an agency to temporarily report property as missing. Disposal method 19 is a soft disposal method; therefore the property will continue to be included in an agency’s books until the asset is updated to a final hard disposal method.
This disposal code should only be used temporarily while the asset is searched for and an investigation is conducted. Missing property may only be retained in the SPA system for a maximum of two calendar years from the soft disposal date before disposal method 17 or 18 must be used to delete the property, or it is removed from disposal method 19 status. While there are two years provided to search for an asset, the disposal method should be immediately updated at the end of the investigation or when it is determined that the asset is not likely to be recovered.
The following procedures should be followed when an asset is found to be missing during the annual physical inventory or at any other time.
- Report the asset as missing in SPA using disposal method 19.
- Complete a search for the missing asset.
- If the asset is not recovered during the search, complete an internal investigation to determine if there is employee negligence related to the missing asset. Each agency must have internal policies established providing procedures to conduct an investigation for missing property. See Missing or Stolen Property for more information.
- If it is determined that NO employee negligence is indicated, update the disposal method in SPA from 19 to Disposal Method 18 (Missing – No Employee Negligence) and follow DM 18 procedures.
- If it is determined that employee negligence is indicated, update the disposal method in SPA from 19 to Disposal Method 17 (Missing – Employee Negligence) and follow DM 17 procedures.
- Access the Disposal of Property (PADLET) screen on the Main Menu.
- Enter the property and component number in the corresponding fields.
- Press Enter.
- Enter 19 in the
DISPOSAL METHODfield. Press Enter.
- Enter the disposal date in the
- Press Enter. The message Press F4 To Continue Or F5 To Cancel appears.
- Press F4. The message Information Has Been Deleted appears.