Skip to content


Note: To navigate this guide on a mobile device you must use the Table of Contents.

Lodging Reimbursements

A state employee may only be reimbursed for his or her actual lodging expense not to exceed the maximum lodging reimbursement rate for that location. Agencies must use the federal rates provided by the General Services Administration (GSA) for both in-state and out-of-state travel within the contiguous United States. State employees who travel to Alaska, Hawaii, a U.S. possession or a foreign country must be reimbursed according to the guidelines in the GAA. See Travel Reimbursement Rates.

When traveling to non-listed locations, state employees are limited to the GSA’s Domestic Maximum Per Diem Rates.

Note: Only the per diem rates listed in the “Daily lodging rates” (lodging) and “Meals & Incidentals (M&IE) rates and breakdown” (meals) tables of the GSA’s Domestic Maximum Per Diem Rates web tool apply to state employees.

Federal travel regulations are typically updated on Oct. 1; however, changes may be made at any time during the year. It is possible for two sets of rates to apply to a single trip. If employees are traveling when the rates change, they must use the rates in effect on each specific day of travel.

Increasing the Maximum Lodging Rate

Under certain circumstances, the maximum lodging rate may be increased. See: