Skip to content


Note: To navigate this guide on a mobile device you must use the Table of Contents.

Reducing meal reimbursement rate to increase lodging rate

A state employee may claim less than the maximum meal reimbursement rate for a duty point and use the amount of the reduction to increase the maximum lodging reimbursement rate for the duty point. This is allowable for in-state and out-of-state travel.


Gloria is a state employee who is planning to travel to Florida for a business meeting. The maximum lodging rate for Florida at the time is $100 per day and the maximum meal reimbursement rate is $45 per day. Gloria finds a hotel very close to where her business meeting is being held, but the hotel charges $110 per night. Gloria decides that she would like to reduce her meal reimbursement from $45 to $35 so that she can use the $10 reduction to stay in the convenient hotel.