Direct Deposit Processing
Direct Deposit Checklist
Always review the direct deposit form to ensure it is complete and includes:
- An answer to the International ACH Transaction (IAT) question, with the completed ACH Payment Destination Confirmation form if the payee marks YES, or if your research before issuing direct deposit payments reveals a Y in the IAT IND field.
- Legible payee identification and financial institution information.
- An authorized signature.
If information is missing or illegible, never guess; contact your payee to verify.
Questions To Ask
- Is the payee already set up in TINS? The payee must be in TINS with at least one mail code before you can set up direct deposit.
- Does the payee’s IAT IND field display a Y? If so, do not set up direct deposit. The indicator displays on the following TINS inquiry screens:
- Is there existing direct deposit infromation? If so, search the PYDIST screen for the custodial agency and contact that agency. See Paying Agency Contact List for custodial agency contact information.
- Do the name and address on the form match any of the payee’s mail codes in TINS?
- For a change request, did the payee include the current direct deposit infromation for verification along with the updated infromation?
- For a cancellation, do you have the right mail code?
Verify Transaction Entry
The Comptroller’s office strongly recommends that agencies verify their direct deposit setups, changes and cancellations on the PYDIST screen and/or the agency’s daily and monthly Direct Deposit Reports.