Introduction to Direct Deposit
Direct deposit is the electronic transfer of a payment directly to the recipient’s account via the system called the Automated Clearing House (ACH) network. Agencies can set up, change and cancel payee direct deposit account information (also called direct deposit instructions) in TINS.
The ACH network is governed by the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA). NACHA establishes the standards, rules and procedures of the electronic exchange of payments between entities. The Comptroller adheres to all the rules set forth by NACHA.
The Glossary/Acronym page can be used for reference for direct deposit terms such as:
- Advance Payment Notification (APN)
- International ACH Transaction (IAT)
- Custodial Agency
- Direct Deposit Instructions
- Journal Voucher (JV)
- Notification of Change (NOC)
- Originating Depository Financial Institution (ODFI)
- Paying Agency
- Prenotification (Prenote)
- Receiving Depository Financial Institution (RDFI)
Note: Direct deposit legal cites can be found under the Payment Processing Policy tab.