Aug. 22, 2023
CAPPS HR/Payroll Mass Position Update Changes Due
Aug. 31, 2023
CAPPS HR/Payroll Job and Position Changes Effective Before 9/1/23 and Terminations Before 9/2/23 Must Be Entered in CAPPS by 5 p.m.
Aug. 31, 2023
CAPPS HR/Payroll Department Budget Changes Due
Aug. 31, 2023
CAPPS HR/Payroll Shuts Down at 5 p.m. for FYE
5 p.m. Aug. 31 to 8 a.m. Sept. 5, 2023
CAPPS HR/Payroll Unavailable
Sept. 5, 2023
CAPPS HR/Payroll Available at 8 a.m.
Contact your agency’s CAPPS support staff.
Authorized agency support staff may contact the CAPPS help desk at (512) 463-2277 for additional assistance.
State agencies using the Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS) HR/Payroll (CAPPS Central agencies only).
CAPPS Central agencies must follow these instructions to properly prepare for the fiscal year-end (FYE) process.
You must provide agency-specific details to the CAPPS Production Support staff at the Comptroller’s office, such as employees to be restored to temporary assignment after the rollover to fiscal 2024, etc.
The CAPPS Production Support staff will complete the rollover steps on your agency’s behalf while the system is down.
All steps on the schedule must be completed before you can:
- Enter any Sept. 1 job data transactions or position data updates (except terminations effective Sept. 1, 2023).
- Run the September payroll.
Note: The CAPPS Production Support staff will also carry out the Standardized Payroll/Personnel Reporting System (SPRS) Fiscal Year-End Processing Instructions for the Rollover to Fiscal 2024 for CAPPS Central agencies. Hub agencies are responsible for completing the SPRS FYE process.
- Normal processing will be available until 5 p.m. on Aug. 31, 2023.
- All transactions processed on Aug. 31 will be sent to SPRS before the CAPPS team begins the FYE process.
- The system will be unavailable beginning at 5 p.m. on Aug. 31 through 8 a.m. Sept. 5, 2023.
- Normal CAPPS activities will resume at 8 a.m. Sept. 5.
Note: This schedule is subject to change and will be updated as necessary.
Pre-FYE Rollover Activities
Note: The CAPPS Production Support staff will open an ASP ticket with the Short Description of Agency XXX FYE 2023 for each agency. This ticket will be used to capture all communication and documentation required to complete FYE processing.
Mass Position Data Changes (Reorg)
If your agency is planning to make mass Position Data changes effective Sept. 1, 2023 (for example, Mass Reorgs), contact the CAPPS help desk and CAPPS Production Support staff will provide a template for your agency’s use.
For agencies with a large number of changes to position data information (100 changes or more) for fiscal 2024, the CAPPS team will load your fiscal 2024 mass reorg spreadsheet during the outage window that begins Aug. 31, 2023.
Please note these important reminders:
- A test spreadsheet must be attached to the ASP ticket no later than Aug. 4, 2023. The CAPPS Production Support staff will complete a test load and provide results to agencies for validation.
- The final spreadsheet must be attached to the ASP ticket no later than Aug. 22, 2023. The CAPPS Production Support staff will attach final results to the applicable ASP ticket for agencies to validate.
Your agency must:
- Populate the Mass Position Data Changes spreadsheet with current position data and changes effective Sept. 1, 2023.
- Attach the spreadsheet to your agency’s FYE ASP ticket.
Department Budget Changes (BLS)
Department budgets are used in CAPPS HR/Payroll to accurately distribute payroll and payroll-related costs. Fiscal 2024 department budgets in CAPPS HR/Payroll will be established with an effective date of Sept. 1, 2023, as part of fiscal year-end processing.
Agencies will need to update their FYE ASP ticket indicating one of the following:
- Copy the fiscal 2023 budget to fiscal 2024 – meaning no changes or only a few minor changes.
– or –
- Load the fiscal 2024 budget via spreadsheet.
Note: If your agency will require a subsequent budget load to coincide with the federal fiscal year that begins Oct. 1, 2023, please also note that in the ASP ticket.
For agencies with no changes or very few changes to budget information for fiscal 2023, the CAPPS team will copy your fiscal 2023 budget information to fiscal 2024. Any changes needed can be made online by the agency after the outage window.
For agencies with a large number of changes to budget information (100 changes or more) for fiscal 2024, the CAPPS team will load your fiscal 2024 budget via spreadsheet during the outage window that begins Aug. 31, 2023.
Please note these important reminders:
- A test spreadsheet must be attached to the ASP ticket no later than Aug. 22, 2023. The CAPPS Production Support staff will complete a test budget load and provide results to agencies for validation.
- The final spreadsheet must be attached to the ASP ticket no later than Aug. 31, 2023. The CAPPS Production Support staff will attach query results of the final fiscal 2024 budgets to the applicable ASP ticket for agencies to validate.
Position and Job Data Updates
Agencies must enter all position changes effective before Sept. 1, 2023, and job data actions effective on or before Aug. 31, 2023 (including any terminations effective Sept. 1, 2023), and make any corrections before 5 p.m. on Aug. 31, 2023:
- Review all active positions and inactivate any that will not be needed in fiscal 2024. Inactivation must occur before 5 p.m. on Aug. 31, 2023.
Important note: Any last-minute position changes that could impact the department budget load details must be communicated to the CAPPS team.
- Review employees on disciplinary reduction (027) and temporary assignment (041). If the employees will be restored from disciplinary reduction or returned from temporary assignment with an effective date before Sept. 1, 2023, agencies must enter the appropriate action – Restore from Disciplinary Reduction (028) or Return from Temporary Assignment (042) – before 5 p.m. on Aug. 31, 2023.
Note: As a part of the FYE rollover process, the CAPPS team will:
- Return any employees from disciplinary reduction by entering a Restore from Disciplinary Reduction (028).
- Return any employees from temporary assignment by entering a Return from Temporary Assignment (042).
- As applicable, the CAPPS team will place the employee back on disciplinary reduction or temporary assignment after the F24 row in job data is inserted.
Employees on leave of absence from their job do not need to be returned from leave for FYE processing.
- Ensure that all terminations effective Sept. 1 and earlier are entered in CAPPS by 5 p.m. on Aug. 31, 2023. CAPPS will allow Aug. 31 termination actions to be entered with an effective date of Sept. 1, 2023. However, no other Sept. 1 job data transactions or position data changes are permitted.
Changes to the Position Classification Plan
The 2023-2024 Conversion Manual (available in early August on the state auditor’s office website) from the state auditor’s office and the Comptroller’s office explains the changes and the payroll actions state agencies must take. The manual includes:
- Mapping of all changes. Automatic conversions. Class deletions.
- New classes.
- Class title changes. Reallocated classes.
CAPPS Production Support staff will ensure the following changes occur automatically:
|Type of Change||Result|
|New Class Number||Employees in a job classification designated as New Class Number will automatically have the new classification number assigned on the F24 record.|
|No Change||The F24 record will automatically be inserted.|
CAPPS Production Support staff will ensure the following changes occur based on the information provided by your agency:
|Type of Change||Action|
A spreadsheet of all employees whose job classifications are being reallocated will be attached to each affected agency’s ASP FYE ticket.
The agency must review the information and determine whether the employee will be reallocated with no increase (RC 002) or with an increase of not more than 6.8% (RC 003).
Note: If the job classification is being reallocated to a group with a lower minimum salary, no increase may be given and these reallocations will occur automatically with RC 002.
A spreadsheet of all employees assigned to job classification codes being deleted from the Position Classification Plan will be attached to each affected agency’s ASP FYE ticket.
The agency must review the information and determine the most appropriate job classification code for each listed employee. Additionally, the agency must determine the appropriate reclassification reason code (RC 022, 024, 044 or 026) and the new salary, if applicable.
A spreadsheet of employees in a job classification code designated as Title Change will be attached to each agency’s ASP FYE ticket. Agencies will need to indicate how the new title should be reflected on the agency’s functional job codes.
Note: The state classification title will automatically be updated to reflect the new title at the TEXAS SETID.
Employees affected by reallocations, deletions and title changes will be identified and attached to the FYE ticket no later than Aug. 9, 2023. The agency must review the data and provide the applicable information to complete the fiscal year rollover by Aug. 23, 2023.
CAPPS Production Support staff will reevaluate CAPPS for employees affected by these changes on Aug. 30, 2023. For any additional employees identified, the agency must respond with the required information to allow CAPPS staff to complete the fiscal year rollover. If the agency does not provide that information for an employee, that employee will not receive an F24 record.
Post-FYE Rollover Activities
Sept. 1 Job Data
Validate that all employees have been appropriately updated for the new fiscal year, which includes verifying that:
- All active employees have an action reason F24 row.
- Employees have been returned to disciplinary reduction (action reason 027) or temporary assignment (action reason 041), as applicable.
- Employees whose terminations are effective Sept. 1 or earlier do not have a Sept. 1 F24 row.
Note: If employees who terminated Sept. 1, 2023, or earlier were rolled into the new fiscal year, the applicable Sept. 1 actions must be deleted before entering the Sept. 1 or earlier effective-dated terminations.
Note: Terminations or other events that occur during the outage can be accommodated when the system is back up on Sept. 5, 2023.
The Employees Retirement System (ERS) is expected to provide CAPPS the 100% Open Enrollment file on Sept. 5. After the file has been received, review the CAPPS ERS Inbound Results page and compare a sample of your employee election changes to the source data in ERS OnLine to validate employee benefit elections.
Process any salary actions dated effective Sept. 1 to ensure the Sept. 1 annual base benefit rate (ABBR) or insurance salary will be correctly calculated by CAPPS.
- CAPPS will submit the Sept. 1 insurance salary files to ERS for all CAPPS Central agencies.
- CAPPS will produce the Sept. 1 ABBR file and transmit the data multiple times during September.
- If ERS rejects the insurance salary sent on the CAPPS file, ERS will create an error file. The error file will be made available to the agencies and the CAPPS team by ERS. CAPPS will work with each agency to address the errors.
- A final file will be generated at the end of the month ahead of the ERS deadline to send and/or change the Sept. 1 insurance salary in ERS OnLine.
- Agencies will need to coordinate any changes required after this time with ERS.
- If approved through the ERS process, the ERS insurance salary in CAPPS must be manually updated.
Complete execution of September payrolls. This includes running the Pre-Distribution Audit Report (PDAR) to validate payroll funding against fiscal year budget load.
Note: Any PDAR exceptions must be resolved before confirming the September payroll.
Time and Labor
The time and labor (TL) procedures are required to complete the FYE process.
Note: It is important to complete processing in the following order.
Annual-to-Sick Leave Conversion
The annual-to-sick leave fiscal year conversion process may be run on a date determined by the agency. It is recommended that all August activity be completed before running the process. The sooner the process is run, the less manual evaluation and entry will be needed.
Note: As a reminder, agencies should run the annual-to-sick leave fiscal year conversion process before running the Leave Liability report in CAPPS to ensure that the data reported reflects the most accurate liability.
- Notify your employees of the deadline by which they must enter all annual leave entries with dates before Sept. 1, 2023.
- Before processing a lump-sum payment for an employee whose termination effective date is Sept. 1, 2023, or later, agencies must evaluate annual leave balances to determine if a manual conversion is necessary. This step is not applicable if the annual-to-sick leave conversion has already been processed.
- Complete the annual-to-sick leave conversion process.
Leave Liability Report
- Agencies that deployed CAPPS before fiscal 2023 are able to run the Leave Liability report in CAPPS.
- Agencies that deployed in May 2023 will receive their Leave Liability report information (previously retrieved from the USPS Compensable Leave report) from the CAPPS help desk support staff no later than Friday, Sept. 8, 2023.
Note: Starting in 2024, agencies that deployed in May 2023 will be able to run the Leave Liability report in CAPPS.
Sick/Family Leave Pool
- Ensure all sick/family leave pool activity is up to date and run the sick/family leave pool fiscal year process to update balances for the fiscal year. The sick and family leave pool processes are run separately.
- The process must be rerun any time retroactive prior fiscal year sick/family leave pool actions are entered in TL.
Emergency Leave Reporting
- Emergency leave reporting for fiscal 2023 is due Oct. 1, 2023.
- On Sept. 22, 2023, Fiscal Management staff will load leave data to the Emergency Leave Reporting web application on your behalf, based on the leave data captured in CAPPS. Please review and validate the reported leave information before completing the certification statement. If you need any changes to the reported information, you must make correcting entries in the applicable system, then contact the CAPPS help desk to reload to the web application.
- The Comptroller’s office encourages you to run the TX_TL_SB73_EMERGENCY_LEAVE_RPT query before Sept. 22 and the emergency leave data upload to ensure you can certify by the Oct. 1 deadline.
Note: For agencies that deployed in May 2023, emergency leave data recorded in USPS or provided during deployment (for agencies not using USPS leave accounting) was converted to CAPPS and will be included in the CAPPS query.
For more information, including instructions for accessing the application and requesting security, see Emergency Leave Reporting Requirements (FPP F.040).
Complete the military rollover process after the federal fiscal year ends on Sept. 30. Ensure all military leave has been entered before running the rollover process in October or November 2023.
|06/30/2022||Updated for rollover to fiscal 2024|
|07/01/2022||Updated for rollover to fiscal 2023|
|07/02/2021||Updated for rollover to fiscal 2022|
|07/10/2020||Updated for rollover to fiscal 2021|