Skip to content

Unclaimed Property Annual Notification

Updated: Jan. 3, 2020 – View Changes


View entire document



To search for unclaimed property (institutions of higher education only), please follow the instructions on the website.

To claim property, please contact the Comptroller’s Unclaimed Property Division at or call (800) 321-2274, select option 1, then 3.


Applicable to

State agencies and institutions of higher education


Unclaimed property turned over to the state includes property that may belong to state agencies or institutions of higher education. If agencies and institutions do not claim property after an annual notification, the Comptroller’s office deposits the money into unappropriated General Revenue (GR).

Agencies and institutions are encouraged to contact the Comptroller’s Unclaimed Property Division or search regularly for assets (see Claiming Property for more). When inquiring about unclaimed property, it is important to try variations on the agency name as the database reflects how the money was reported, which may not be the official agency name (see Tips for Searching Property for more).

Legal citation

Property Code Section 74.601 (g)

Claiming Property

If your agency or institution has property to claim, contact the Unclaimed Property Division at or (800) 321-2274, select option 1, then 3. Agencies and institutions should provide contact information for their appropriate financial representative. If the property remains unclaimed by May 31, 2021, the funds will be swept into unappropriated General Revenue (GR).

Agencies and institutions operating with a General Revenue-Dedicated (GR-D) account or a special fund outside of GR may be able to claim unclaimed property held by the Comptroller’s office.

If the agency or institution provides supporting documentation that demonstrates the original source of the funds as a GR-D account or special fund outside of GR, the property may be returned to the original fund and may be subject to future appropriation.

It is incumbent upon the claiming entity to establish the original source of funds.

Tips for Searching Property

Agencies and institutions can search for unclaimed property at

Agencies and institutions searching for property should consider possible variations on agency/institution names as the database reflects how the money was reported, which may not have been with the official name.

Here are some tips to consider when searching the database:

  • Include previous versions of a name, such as “Texas Employment Commission” for “Texas Workforce Commission.”
  • Include common acronyms, such as “Texas DPS” for “Texas Department of Public Safety” or “UT Austin” for “University of Texas at Austin.”
  • Include common unofficial names, such as “Highway Department” for “Texas Department of Transportation.”
Changes to this Document
Date Updates
01/15/2021 Updated for calendar year 2020 unclaimed property
01/03/2020 Updated for calendar year 2019 unclaimed property
01/04/2019 Updated for calendar year 2018 unclaimed property