Hotel Occupancy Tax Quarterly Refund
Issued: May 9, 2008
Updated: Oct. 21, 2021 – View changes
State agencies that reimburse employees for state-related hotel stays.
The hotel occupancy tax refund process was created to satisfy the requirements of Texas Tax Code, Sections 156.103 and 156.154.
- Automatically refunds hotel occupancy taxes to agencies that reimbursed employees for hotel occupancy taxes paid while on official state business.
- Extracts data from the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) General Ledger and creates USAS transactions that:
- Generate a refund of expenditure to an agency and a refund of revenue to agency 902 (Comptroller – State Fiscal).
- Are included in that night’s USAS cycle.
Transactions/Report Schedule — USAS DAFR8190 and DAFR8200 Reports
The hotel occupancy tax refund is generated within the first 10 days of December, March, June and August. A final sweep is processed on Aug. 31.
The refund is based on activity from the prior fiscal quarter. The report schedule is as follows:
|Hotel Occupancy Tax Refund Report Schedule|
|December sweep||Captures activity from the first fiscal quarter: September – November||Reports are available by Dec. 9|
|March sweep||Captures activity from the second fiscal quarter: December – February||Reports are available by March 9|
|June sweep||Captures activity from the third fiscal quarter: March – May||Reports are available by June 9|
|August sweep||Captures activity from the fourth fiscal quarter: June and July only||Reports are available by Aug. 9|
|FINAL Aug. 31 sweep||Captures activity from the fourth fiscal quarter: August only||Reports are available by Sept. 9|
Document Number/Suffix Scheme
The document number is GRXXXYYY/zzz where:
- XXX is the fiscal Julian date that the refund first attempts to process.
- YYY is the agency number related to the expenditure being refunded.
- zzz is the document number suffix and represents the agency number affected by the transaction.
Example: Agency 123 has $100 in hotel occupancy tax expenditures that will be included in the June refund process. The document number scheme would be:
- GR274123/123, T-code 924, $100.
- GR274123/902, T-code 934, $100.
When extracting information from the USAS General Ledger, the general ledger account 5500 and comptroller objects 7135, 7136, 7137, 7138, 7139, 7140 and 7141 are included. The T-codes 924 and 934 are excluded — the Comptroller’s office uses these T-codes to generate the refunds.
Note: Do not make adjustments to any transactions generated by the sweep. Sweep transactions are those using T-codes 924 and 934. Contact your ACO to coordinate any adjustments.
For agencies receiving a GR document on the HX file through CAPPS, the entry for this refund will be included on a journal.
If not using the HX file for GR documents, agencies may need to increase their CAPPS actuals ledger by the amount of the refund. Use the coding block used in USAS — no T-code is required in CAPPS.
Texas Tax Code, Sections 156.103 and 156.154
|10/21/2021||Updated calendar to reflect fiscal 2022 report availability|
|08/21/2020||Updated calendar to reflect fiscal 2021 report availability|
|08/30/2019||Updated calendar to reflect fiscal 2020 report availability|