>> Payment

Table of Contents

Payee Number Requirements
Comptroller-assigned Payee Numbers

Comptroller-assigned TIN

Agencies may need to make payments to businesses located outside the United States or to foreign individuals who reside in the U.S. Some of these payees may have an EIN, SSN or ITIN, while others may not. If the payee is a foreign entity or non-resident alien who does not have an EIN, SSN or ITIN:

If your agency makes multiple or recurring payments for goods and services to a foreign payee, the foreign payee should apply for an SSN, ITIN or EIN when appropriate. Some countries have a treaty with the United States stating which entities do not have to have an EIN in order to do business within the U.S. To determine if a foreign business needs an EIN, contact IRS business assistance at (800) 829-4933.

If the foreign payee receives an SSN, ITIN or EIN, submit a Payee Change Request form (74-157)(login required) PDF to have Payment Services change the Comptroller-assigned number to the new number.

System-generated Random Number

To protect confidentiality, TINS will assign the payee a randomly based 7 TIN for an SSN or ITIN.

CAUTION: Comptroller Taxpayer Identification Numbers

Agencies must not use the 11-digit Comptroller-assigned Taxpayer Identification Number (TP Number) in TINS. TP Numbers begin with 30xxxxxxxxx, 32xxxxxxxxx, 38xxxxxxxxx or 39xxxxxxxxx.

Do not:

These actions are monitored and will be inactivated if set up by a state agency, which will prevent payments from being issued.